- CAS was formed in 1912 by a group of prominent citizens in Birmingham to care for dependent and neglected children in Birmingham and Jefferson County.
- The incorporation papers were signed on February 21, 1913.
- CAS helped care for children in need before the existence of the Alabama Department of Human Resources.
- In 1917, CAS organized as the "Alabama Children's Aid Society" to serve as a state-wide organization.
- In 1924, the Children's Aid Society became part of the Community Chest Fund, what is now United Way of Central Alabama.
- One of our former Executive Directors, Will Gaines Holmes, also celebrated her 105th birthday this year.
- Immediate past Executive Director, Joyce Greathouse, shares her birthday, February 21, with Children's Aid Society.
Thank you for being a part of our 105-year history!
Gratefully accepting birthday gifts!